Sunday, October 7, 2012

Queer but true!


  • This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 32; the thirty-second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is 'An Untold Story'

Here is an untold story of the time when the universe was recently created and so were all the planets, the stars, the galaxies, and the creatures. God had adorned the Earth with Mother Nature which further aided the origin of a variety of creatures, from the pettiest to the enormous. Human was one of the creation & so was the tiny mosquito. Since everyone was new on earth, none was familiar to the other.
It so happened one sunny day that a man, who was among the first ones on the earth, retired to his cave for a quick day’s nap. While he was resting, there came a mosquito in his cave. Now he came in search of food, which he gets by sucking the blood of us humans; but that day something else happened. That day the mosquito by complete chance happened to notice something which he had never ever seen. He saw that a beam of light was falling on the man’s face and there he found a thing very attractive. Its maze like structure and tender surface with a tiny red mole just like a beauty spot, was irresistible to him. He was so awestruck by it that he started hovering around it, admiring it from every possible angle.
While doing so, his buzzing made the object of his affection vexed and she was awakened. When she saw the petty creature wandering like a coxcomb, staring at her incessantly and creating a noise, she said in an irksome tone, ”what’s with you boy? Can’t you see that i am asleep that you are creating such miserable sounds?”
“Who are you, O heavenly creature?” said the lovelorn mosquito, completely unaffected by the former’s tone.
“I am called the ear” she replied with the utmost vanity and said to him, “but who are you?”
“They call me mosquito” he said in extreme modesty.
“Well, whoever you are I don’t care! What I know is that you are annoying me by not letting me sleep. So you better leave” said she with the highest conceit.
“Oh, I sincerely apologize for that but I am helpless, you see. Since the time I've seen you, I can’t take my eyes off you. My heart started singing and I couldn't stop the words of praise from coming out of my mouth!” said the lover.
"How dare you … you insignificant fellow! Just go away from here at this very instant else I’ll order my fellow hand and he’ll drive you away, you lousy thing! "said the ear; the anger mounting her now.
The mosquito was hurt a bit but his feelings never budged. Thinking that his love will melt her beloved’s harsh feelings, he stood there smiling. The ear, after seeing this got all the more fiery and immediately ordered the hand to wave off the mosquito. The hand followed what she said and then came the first blow. Fortunately the mosquito escaped this one and was still smiling and saying “I love you, my ear and I will always do so no matter what you do.”
He again took a chance and went near the ear to see her, and the hand seeing this didn't miss the opportunity and there he gave the second hit. But the mosquito got second time lucky and again said,”I know your anger is only momentary and you’ll definitely fall for me, and then I’ll be waiting for you with my arms open and my heart beating only for you”
While saying this last line, the mosquito didn't realize and he came near the ear, and this time the hand didn't miss the target. The poor mosquito received a hard blow and fell badly on the Earth. The ear smiled victoriously on her lover’s defeat. The mosquito, in his last few breaths, took the vow that she’ll not be retrieved from his love so easily. In fact, he’ll keep coming back till the time the ear confesses her love for the mosquito; and till then he’ll keep humming to her his infinite love for her!
Though the mosquito died then, his love for the ear still continues.
Still in the midsummer nights, we find a mosquito humming his love song for the ear and still there is a hand waving him off.
But the trend has altered a bit.  Just like the young gals now a days, even the ear has 10-15 mosquitoes hovering around her, all trying their luck at the same time …lolz
                                                                                       -i_duft 

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Introduced By: MEGHA MALIK, Participation Count: 1


34 comments:

  1. hahahahahahaha....that was offbeat and too good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx Dreamer! glad u had fun reading it :)

      Delete
  2. By the time I finished reading the story, I thought- one really needs to be creative to imagine a story like that and actually pen it down. :) You are indeed a flawless writer, I loved the metaphors and imagery used in the story!
    All the best for the BAT32 contest :)

    Love :) Megha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx Meghzz ..my best critic n my best frn :)

      Delete
  3. Ohooo.. too good.. A real life untold story... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very imaginative. I gotta ask you your choice of gender - Why is the ear 'she' and mosquito, the 'he'? You can obviously work other way round too, but asking to know your thoughts.

    Read my entry, would love to hear your thoughts
    http://unknownshri.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/between-death-and-afterlife/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey unknownshri ..gud question!
      my choice of gender for my characters(ear & mosquito) depended a lot on their behaviors. for instance taking some of mosquito's behavioral patterns into account like- hovering, buzzing, disturbing and so on can be very well related to a lover.
      whereas with ear it was easier to portray the vanity, conceit and high-handedness of a woman. besides, i completed the look with *a beauty spot* & *the curves* which wud hav been impossible, had it been the other way round ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol. It works other way round too! Women know which curves to check out in men and men can have women buzzing and disturbing them. All I'm saying is, it wouldn't have been impossible!!

      But I accept your choice.

      Delete
    3. :)
      i did give it a thot shri, but changing the genders didn't take me anywhr. perhaps u can since u came up with the query.. wat say? wanna try?

      Delete
    4. Thanks for sharing the idea and work. It'll take me tym (quite some) to refine and pen down something worth reading.

      But, allow me to shoot off the cuff here...

      Mosquito is wandering about some person...and in the darkness she notices something curvy...more curvy than usual...that attracts her attention as that person with curves stands out...she goes to check it out and realizes that in darkness, for the human, ear is most alert...then captivates her...seeing the dedication in the male...and she begins to long for such unswerving dedication for herself....

      Ear is on alert and protecting his person in the darkness...when he begins hearing a melodious buzz...he looks and see a carefree female, twisting and turning about him...with her graceful ballet like dance...for moments he is smitten...

      the mosquito takes this first impression as a sign and seeks his love for eternity...

      the ear realizes that he is already 'attached' and thus can't commit....

      and so on...

      Took me a while to get back. Is there a way to follow comments on blogspot?

      Delete
    5. wow ! doesn't it sound like a lowered down Indian version of Fifty shades, Shri.... ?!
      n tht too so quick n deep! maanna padega :D
      n yeah u get notifications regdg the comments but only if you have a blogspot account!

      Delete
    6. Unfortunately haven't gotten my hands on fifty shades yet.
      You are benevolent with your praise. Thanks.

      I just happened to do a post with personifications once and I was hit with this gender question again and again. Since then, I've learnt to spin things either ways. Men or women, it's desire that drives action; and desire can often be gender-neutral.

      Delete
    7. *human desires* ..that is what your writing revolves around na! so is Freud behind your inspiration or your own inquisitive nature??

      Delete
  5. LOL. Very very unique. Loved the end associated it with modern times! :) An ear and a mosquito wow. Now I would never have thought of this as an untold story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deepa! well from now on wen a mosquito or two wud hover around ur ear, this romantic story of theirs may make u spare the poor creature ;)

      Delete
  6. Hahaha... very creative and gave a realistic touch in the end. Loved it. :)

    Please do visit my entry: http://ponderingtwo.blogspot.in/2012/10/love-torn.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. HaHa!! A very different love story!! And I am sure, I heard it for the first time. A REAL UNTOLD STORY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nyc, diff, imaginative, creative...i can go on and on...nyc read
    ATB for BAT :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL...I fell in love with this piece from the very beginning........the concluding lines are the BEST! Awesome :)
    ATB for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was super creative. And very well narrated. Totally unexpected take on the topic. Kudos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next time when mosquito hums the love song,I will also hum with her :), excellent creativity, liked it very much :)

    Do visit my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha ..sure a do Arjun! one to buzz, two to rhyme ;)
      Thank U

      Delete
  12. That is JUST the type of story I enjoy wholeheartedly.

    High, high respect for people like you who are not scared of imagining.

    I had a great time reading this. Have you seen the movie Makkhi?? You will love it; trust me. I have it right there as one of my fav movies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey kshitij!
    thanx for those great words ..u urself are extremely creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Wow Wow.. I loved the way you wrote this :) I personally love stories written from a different angle. This is one such story, a mosquito's love story, that too an untold story :)

    Request: Kindly disable word verification feature :)

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx SiS .. glad u liked it so much :)
      n rgdg ur request ..thanx for telling me wat to do. Now plz tell the 'how to do' part too.. :P

      Delete